Thursday, July 22, 2010

Thing Two: Setting Up an RSS Reader

How did it go?
I think it went pretty well. I've read blogs in the past, but I've never set up a reader account to subscribe to them. The process of setting it up and adding blogs to the reader was far easier than navigating the site afterward, I thought. Looking through the posts, etc. But it wasn't really that hard once I got into it.

What feeds did you subscribe to?
The Pioneer Woman Cooks!
Recipes, cooking, etc.
My Parents Were Awesome!
People post old photos of their parents taken in the days when the word "cool" really meant something. ;)
Roger Ebert's Journal
Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun times critic and all-around inspirational person.
A Librarian's Guide to Etiquette
Modern library humor.
Lunch in a Box
Tips and recipes for bento boxes. Hasn't been updated in a while though. :(
Ill Doctrine: A Hip-Hop Video Blog
The blog of a New York radio jockey.

Was it hard to find something you are interested in?
Not really. But sort of? I couldn't find many library-related blogs I was interested in, but there are hundreds, thousands of blogs out there that I find interesting. I think if you're just finding any old blog that will interest you, it wouldn't be hard. But finding a blog on a particular topic that you like that interests you that is updated with any amount of frequency, then it might be a bit more difficult.

Why did you choose those feeds?
Well the truth is, many of them I already knew about before I set up the google reader!

The Pioneer Woman Cooks!
WHY: She posts amazing, simple, recipes that are so easy to follow in part because of her liberal use of step-by-step photos. My favorite recipe of hers is the Pasta Carbonara, which we've made several times at home and I highly recommend to everyone. Her latest dish, Grilled Chicken with Lemon Basil Pasta looks worth a shot!

My Parents Were Awesome!
WHY: I just thought this one was fun!

Roger Ebert's Journal
WHY: He has a lot of interesting stories to tell and a lot of interesting opinions to express.

A Librarian's Guide to Etiquette
WHY: Everybody needs a little humor right?

Lunch in a Box
WHY: I can always use interesting ideas for my lunch box.

Ill Doctrine: A Hip-Hop Video Blog
WHY: I subscribed to this mainly for his well-spoken, thoughtful, political and pop-culture commentary.

No comments:

Post a Comment