Thursday, July 22, 2010

Thing Three: Social Networking

If you are already a social or professional network user, how long have you been networking online? Do you use a social network for personal contacts, professional contacts, or both?
Once upon a time I had a MySpace but I closed it down a while ago. I currently have a Facebook, and have had for several years. [I don't know exactly how long.] I have always used these essentially for personal use and not professional. If I had a more extensive resume, perhaps I could see the use of a site like linked in or even facebook. But for now, I don't really have much interest in it. I would probably delete my facebook account if not for the social expectation to have one. People don't really talk to each other anymore. They expect everyone to read their facebook updates instead. I think it's kind of sad, actually. I don't check facebook daily, weekly, or even really monthly. If there's something you need to tell me, I have a phone!

If you were going to set up a social network presence for your library, which service would you choose and why?
Currently we use twitter for our library. I'm not sure the interest is such that I would recommend using a more in-depth social network presence for our library. Twitter is good for us because it is simple and fast and doesn't take up too much time. If our interest is low, at least we will not have wasted a lot of time and resources on the project.

No comments:

Post a Comment