Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Thing Six: Chat

Can you imagine communicating with colleagues or students via chat on a regular basis?

I have used a variety of chat programs. If it is an individual chat where there are only two participants, it is easy to keep up, but if you are ever in an actual chat "room" where there are several participants I find keeping up to be hard, especially because I am fairly long-winded and by the time I've typed something of note the conversation has usually moved on.

Recently, we used a video-chat and text-chat program at work to hold an inter-campus meeting. There was an issue with the sound on my end so I could only chat by typing and not through the video/audio chat. My input was always a little bit later than everyone else's! So it can be tricky at times for sure.

I don't know that I could see chatting with colleagues or students on a regular basis. My job in the library is comprised of a variety of things and I don't think it would be easy to schedule a time when I could be guaranteed to not be away from my desk. If this were not the case, then it may be something beneficial to the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment